YYC Taste the Trucks – Delicious!
On August 11th of 2011, I descended to Stephen Avenue for “YYC Taste the Trucks” for the unveiling of the food truck pilot project alongside hundreds of other Calgarians curious about this new food trend. At that time, there were only seven food trucks. Fast forward one year later; there is now a total of 23 food trucks roaming the streets of Calgary.
The success of the food trucks is contributed to the support of city council and Mayor Nenshi. Calgary is the envy of other major cities with strict regulations causing their failure to launch.
The food truck fairy tale began with Charcut offering their gourmet burgers in a back alley behind their restaurant. This attracted hundreds of people lining up to savour their $5 burger and that is essentially how Alley Burger, the very first of the food trucks, was born.
There are a few apps you can download to follow your favourite food trucks. They also have a huge social media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
This food truck phenomenon has definitely put Calgary on the map of food trends. Eat St., the infamous Food Network TV show following food trucks in North America, has featured our great city.
To celebrate this happy ending, the second annual “YYC Taste the Trucks” will be happening on their one year anniversary in the East Village. Once again, Eat St. will be there with their film crew so be prepared in case they ask you to speak in front of the camera!
Congratulations to the success of the food trucks and cheers to many more years of feeding Calgarians!
Calgary Food Trucks
- Anglio e Olio – Homemade pasta and sauces & fresh homemade sausage on a bun
- Alley Burger – burger, fries and poutine
- Blam! Wich – sandwiches
- BrBraizen – using local and seasonal ingredients to create dishes from Asia, classic American, Middle Eastern and South America
- Cheezy Bizness – not your childhood grilled cheese sandwiches
- Curbside Grill – burgers and sausages
- Fiasco Gelato - Italian gelato ice cream at its finest
- Holy Crepe – savoury and sweet crepes
- Jelly Modern Doughnuts – brought to you by the owners of Canada’s first gourmet doughnut shop
- JoJo’s BBQ – authentic southern BBQ bites
- Los Compadres – gourmet and authentic tacos
- Noodle Bus – the first Asian food truck serving Vietnamese cuisine
- Pimentos Mobile Pizzeria – New York style pizza, donairs and Panini’s
- Purple Pastry Chef – gourmet cupcakes and treats
- Red Wagon Diner – Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, wraps and hash
- The Happy Truck – Indonesian food
- Vasili’s – Greek food
- YYC Shawarma – offering a variety of shawarmas
Leave a comment below and let us know about your favourite food trucks!
Location: 618 Confluence Way SE, Calgary, AB T2G 0G1
Date: Friday, August 10, 2012
Time: 11:00 am to 7:00 pm