Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights is a very desirable and popular inner city residential neighbourhood in northwest Calgary. Established in 1953, the area is located along an escarpment between Crowchild Trail and 14th Street only minutes from the downtown core.
Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights homes have some of Calgary’s premium views of downtown and the south part of the city, as well as a breathtaking view of the Rocky Mountains to the West.
Another great attribute to the location of this community is its distance from the river; a great resource for staying in shape, or simply for relaxing with the family.
Many new infill developments are being built in the area because of its exceptional location and breathtaking views.
Search Briar Hill Hounsfield Heights Home Listings
Amenities and Services
For inner city living, the convenience of having a medium sized shopping centre located directly in your community makes life easy. From shopping for groceries at Safeway, picking up your prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart, getting your watch fixed at Sears, or having your car fixed and serviced at Kal-Tire, North Hill Shopping centre has it all.World Health Gym is also situated in the basement of the mall.
Kensington is just south of the community as well, which has all your dining needs. Kensington has multiple well-known restaurants, pubs and shopping outlets including Brooklyn Clothing Company, Osteria de Medici, Peppinos Ristorante and Deli, Julio’s Barrio Mexican Restaurant and Lounge, Original Joe’s just to name a few.
Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights also has a Public Library and a Police Station located beside North Hill Mall, as well as multiple recreational parks for your enjoyment.
Briar Hill Hounsfield Heights Schools
- Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights contain one Elementary School named Briar Hill Elementary School.
- This school teaches kindergartens to grade six.
- After graduation from grade six children will then move onto Queen Elizabeth Junior/Senior High School which provides education for students from grade seven to grade twelve.
- Queen Elizabeth High School is located along 6th Avenue NW making its proximity from the community walking distance for any student.
Briar Hill Hounsfield Heights Demographics
As a Calgary infill and inner city home buyer it is good to know some of the actual statistics for the communities you are looking into. Some pertinent demographics include (City of Calgary, Civic Census 2009)
- Ages 24 and below – 16.5%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 35.3%
- Ages 55 and up – 48.2%
- Average household income – $61,207 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 89.7%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 75.1%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 24.9%
Lions Park train station is located within Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights on the south side of North Hill Mall, along 14th Avenue NW. Bus routes from Lions Park can get you going wherever you need to go in Calgary.
Route 19, route 40, route 89, route 91, route 119, route 404, route 405 and route 414 all stop at the station. These routes service 16th Avenue NW, Crowfoot, MacEwan, Brentwood, Foothills Hospital, North Hill, Greenwood and 14th Street cross-town.
Briar Hill and Hounsfield Heights Boundaries Are:
- Northern Border – 16th Avenue from Crowchild Trail to 14th Street NW
- Eastern Border – 14th Street NW from 16th Avenue NW to 8th Avenue NW
- Southern Border – 8th Avenue NW / 9th Avenue NW from 14th Street NW to Crowchild Trail
- Western Border – Crowchild Train from 9th Avenue NW to 16th Avenue NW
Looking to Buy an Inner City Home?
If you are thinking about making a move in Calgary’s inner city or have questions, please call me at 403-370-4180 or message me below using the contact form. I am very much looking forward to helping you accomplish your inner city real estate goals!