Hillhurst is a highly desirable inner city community in northwest Calgary found just minutes from the downtown core. Home construction on the land dates back to the 1880’s, but official establishment of the Hillhurst community wasn’t until 1914.
A combination of prime inner city location, aging homes and high demand for new inner city infills have given way to many new home developments in Hillhurst.
This community gives its residents quick access to the downtown core, amenities and services, outdoor recreation with immediate access to the Bow River pathways and so much more! It’s no wonder it has become one of the most popular communities for infill home buyers in northern Calgary.
See even more reasons why this neighbourhood is very popular among inner city buyers at our 3 Reasons to Buy a Home in Hillhurst Calgary.
Hillhurst Amenities and Services
Hillhurst is a great place to live if you enjoy simple convenience that makes life that much more enjoyable. Part of Hillhurst itself, the popular business district of Kensington is abundant in any kind of service or amenity that you might be looking for including upscale dining, shopping and entertainment.
Do you need to buy a couple things for that new home you just bought? Drive up 10th Street NW or 14th Street NW to the Home Depot conveniently located on the north side of 16th Avenue NW, just across the street from North Hill Mall.
Don’t have a car to make the trip? Take advantage of the courteous bus routes that operate through the area or jump on the LRT station located across the street from Safeway in the heart of Kensington.
Let’s not forget that Hillhurst is located on the north bank of the Bow River. A short five minute walk will get you to the river parkway that provides residents and Calgarians alike with an astounding recreational opportunity especially during warmer weather.
- Hillhurst has four schools located within the community. Hillhurst Elementary school administers education for kindergarten to grade six.
- Queen Elizabeth Elementary, Junior High and Senior High are all located within the same building and provide services for students ranging from kindergarten to grade twelve.
- Both of these schools are a five minute walk from any part of the inner city community.
- Two post-secondary institutions are also conveniently located in Hillhurst. SAIT Polytechnic and Alberta College of Art and Design are located a maximum walk time of ten minutes.
Researching potential communities is always a reasonable method to helping you choose where to relocate your family. Check out some of this community’s demographics…important statistics include (City of Calgary, Civic Census 2009)
- Ages 24 and below – 36.9%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 49.6%
- Ages 55 and up – 13.5%
- Average household income – $55,434 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 90.4%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 45.7%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 54.3%
Public transportation is plentiful in the area with routes that stop in each quadrant of the city. Sunnyside LRT station is also located across the street from Safeway in the Kensington area.
Routes that service Hillhurst include route 1, route 4 and 5, route 9, route 1, route 105, route 107, route 113, route 145, route 166, route 403, route 405, route 411, route 414 and route 419.
The areas serviced by these routes include Bowness and Forest Lawn, Huntington, Varsity Acres and Bridgeland, Dalhousie, Calgary South, Montgomery, Northland, Glenbrook, Inner City, Hillhurst, Rosedale and East Calgary, 14th Street cross-town and Parkhill and the Foothills. Servicing such a wide spectrum of the city offers residents of Hillhurst an easy way to get from A to B without hassle.
Hillhurst Community Boundaries Are:
- Northern Border – 8th Avenue NW, 16th Avenue NW from 19th Street NW to 10th Street NW
- Eastern Border – 10th Street NW from 16th Avenue NW to Bow Trail SW
- Southern Border – Bow River from 9th Street Bridge SW to roughly 18th Street NW
- Western Border – Roughly 18th Street NW from the Bow River to 8th Avenue NW