Wild West New Classical Music Ensemble at Bella Concert Hall
Another exciting performance is happening soon at Mount Royal University’s Bella Concert Hall as part of the Northern Lights Series. This time around it is the Wild West New Music Ensemble, one of Calgary’s newest professional chamber music groups comprised of some of the top musicians in the city.
Many of the Wild West New Music Ensemble’s members hold positions at the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, a testament to the new groups skill and professionalism when it comes to live classical music entertainment!
The group’s mandate is to promote and perform innovative modern-day classical pieces from the 1900’s and 2000’s with a focus on the works of contemporary Canadian composers.
Led by the talented Melanie Leonard as conductor, the Wild West New Music Ensemble is sure to put on a show of epic proportions even for the most skeptical of listeners.
Wild West will be performing a program of minimalism at its finest:
- Steve Reich – Different Trains
- Philip Glass’ – Harpischord Concerto feat. Neil Cockburn
Concert Quick Facts
- When: 7:30pm, Saturday, October 15th, 2016
- Where: Bella Concert Hall, Mount Royal University Conservatory
- Address: 4825 Mount Royal Gate, SW, Calgary, Alberta
- Tickets: www.mru.ca/enjoy or 403-440-7770 (call for discounts)
- Prices: $44.00 to $69.00, three different choices
Future Northern Lights Series Performances
- Chris Hadfield – 7:30pm – November 26th, 2016
- Canadian Guitar Quartet – 7:30pm – February 8th, 2016
- Instrumental Society of Calgary with Neil Cockburn – 2:00pm – April 2nd, 2016
What is the Northern Lights Series?
Administration at the Mount Royal University’s Conservatory decided what better way to show that they are proud to be Canadian by bringing you a series of shows by some of our nation’s best musicians, performers and minds in general.
Chris Hadfield, for example, is a retired astronaut who became the first Canadian to walk in space. He served as commander of the International Space Station (ISS) and had a total of 166 days on board.
During his stay, he became world-renowned for his funny videos on the differences of life on Earth and in space.
Chris makes a stop into the Bella Concert Hall in late November for some definite laughs and insight into his fascinating journey as an astronaut.
- Also see these 5 Things to Do at Mount Royal University today.
I Love Calgary
Looking for more of the best local activities, events, restaurants and everything else to do with YYC? If so, we invite you to join us at Calgaryism on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to stay updated via your live social media feed. We hope to see you there!