Sunnyside Calgary Community Profile, NW Calgary
Sunnyside is an inner city community located on the north bank of the Bow River, directly adjacent to Calgary’s downtown area. Since the turn of the century, there have been many new infill redevelopments in the area because of its desirable location and all that it has to offer.
Sunnyside was established in the 1880’s, a time when residents usually were either Canadian Pacific Railway employees or Eau Claire Sawmill laborers. The past few decades has attracted many urban professionals and their families looking to live a convenient inner city lifestyle with quick access to the downtown core.
Easy access to main routes like Memorial, 10th Street NW, 14th Street NW, and 9th Street SW bridge while having the beautiful river parkway just steps away is too big of an opportunity for many to pass up when considering making a move into the Sunnyside community.
Learn more about the desirability of this inner city neighbourhood at 3 Reasons to Buy a Home in Sunnyside today.
Sunnyside Real Estate
- Sunnyside Calgary Condos for Sale
Sunnyside Amenities & Services
Found on the west side of the Sunnyside Calgary community is the popular Kensington District, reachable in less than 10 minutes of walking from the furthest point of the neighbourhood. This Business Revitalization Zone has more than 100 different restaurants, shops, services and other amenities ready for business.
If you don’t find what you are looking for in Kensington, then 16th Avenue North, North Hill Mall, the Calgary beltline area and downtown area should have what you need! The Sunnyside LRT / C-Train Station is found in the Kensington BRZ and is the first stop on the northwest line.
Residents can easily take full advantage of the Bow River pathways and parks in both eastern and western direcitons. The Peace Bridge connects Sunnyside directly to Eau Claire and Prince’s Island Park, two festival hotspots that come alive during spring and summer months.
Sunnyside Designated Schools
- Sunnyside Elementary – (K-6) – Regular
- Rosedale School – (K-6) (7-9) – Regular
- Queen Elizabeth Junior / Senior high (7-9) (10-12) – Regular, Advanced Placement, Dual Credit, Off-Campus Work Experience
- Crescent Heights High School (10-12) – Regular, Advanced Placement, Dual Credit, Off-Campus Work Experience
Both the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD) are located just north and west of Sunnyside in the neighbouring community of Hillhurst.
*Sourced from the Calgary Board of Education
Sunnyside Demographics (2014)
- Ages 0 to 19 – 9%
- Ages 20 to 64 – 86%
- Ages 65 and up – 5%
- Median age – 33
- Population in 2014 – 3,848
- Occupied dwellings in 2014 –2,287
- Percent of occupied dwellings occupied by owner – 21%
- Percent of occupied dwellings that are single-family – 30%
- Percent of residents who live in single-family dwellings – 31%
- Median household income before tax (2010) – $54,716
Sunnyside Demographics (2009)
- Ages 24 and below – 19.9%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 77.8%
- Ages 55 and up – 12.7%
- Average household income – $47,425 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 94.8%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 28.3%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 71.9%
*Sourced from the City of Calgary Civic Census
Sunnyside’s inner city location is fused with multiple bus routes and also has its own LRT Station, Sunnyside Station. This LRT station can connect you with any train station operating in Calgary. Bus routes are also abundant either within Sunnyside itself or along its borders.
Routes include route 1, route 9, route 4/5, route 19/119 route 31, route 105, route 113, route 145, route 403, route 404, route 405, route 411, route 419 and route 433. These routes service Bowness and Forest Lawn, Huntington, Varsity Acres and Bridgeland, 16th Avenue North, Downtown, Montgomery, Northland, Inner City, North Hill, Hillhurst, Rosedale East Calgary and every road in between their routes.
Getting around Calgary has never been made easier for let’s say a student that lives within Sunnyside.
*Bus routes are subject to change seasonally and annually
Sunnyside Community Boundaries:
- Northern Border – Escarpment separates Rosedale from Sunnyside from 10th St NW to Centre St N.
- Eastern Border – Escarpment separating Crescent Heights and the edge of Prince Island Park
- Southern Border – South Bank of the Bow River from Centre St North to 9th St Bridge SW
- Western Border – 9th Street Bridge SW and 10th Street NW from downtown to the beginning of SAIT
Calgary Inner City Resources
Questions about Sunnyside Real Estate in Calgary?
As a highly experienced inner city specialist and REALTOR® in Calgary, I promise to provide you with only the best in service, advice and representation while discerning and taking care of all your real estate needs.
Call anytime at 403-370-4180 or send a message below for a quick, if not immediate response. I am looking forward to helping you accomplish your real estate plans!