Mount Royal is one of Calgary’s premier luxury real estate communities, highly sought after amongst the affluent in Calgary. Mount Royal was established in 1904, with Lower Mount Royal soon to follow in 1907.
From its establishment the community was advertised by Canadian Pacific Railway as an exclusive neighbourhood for affluent inhabitants of Calgary. Soon to follow were minimum cost requirements for construction of real estate and the types of houses allowed to be built were limited to single family homes.
Since the beginning, Mount Royal has been an exclusive neighbourhood in the inner city region and is one of the most affluent communities in Calgary.
Mount Royal Amenities and Services
There is nothing but good to say about Mount Royal’s location. If you look at the map on the top right, you will see how close it is to the downtown core, entertainment avenues like 17th Ave SW, 14th Street SW and recreational areas like the Elbow River parkway and Talisman Centre.
Have a relaxing cardio workout or family picnic along the Elbow River, or take the family to the Lilac Festival on 4th Street SW in late May. Walk to Talisman for a workout at Calgary’s best recreational centre after a five minute drive home from downtown’s business district. It’s all available to you!
Mount Royal is really the pinnacle of a luxury community and location for property in Calgary, with only a few other communities that even come close in comparison to the convenience it brings its residents.
Mount Royal Schools
How convenient! Drop your kids off at Earl Grey Elementary and Mount Royal Junior High, both of which are located within Mount Royal, giving parents quick and easy drop off and pick up times for their kids.
When they get older, walking to school isn’t out of the question, especially for Senior High students. High school designation is to Western Canada High, located on 17th Avenue SW immediately adjacent to the north western boundary of Mount Royal.
Mount Royal Demographics
Luxury home owners are some of the most specific home buyers there are. Here are some pertinent statistics for the Upper and Lower Mount Royal areas. (City of Calgary, Civic Census 2009)
Upper Mount Royal
- Ages 24 and below – 31.3%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 44.8%
- Ages 55 and up – 24.1%
- Average household income – $133,288 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 91.7%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 77.6%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 22.4%
Lower Mount Royal
- Ages 24 and below – 16.7%
- Ages 25 to 54 – 69.5%
- Ages 55 and up – 13.7%
- Average household income – $45,713 (Statistics Canada, 2006 Census)
- Percentage of population with a High School Diploma or higher – 91.3%
- Ratio of residents who own their property – 33.8%
- Ratio of residents who rent their property – 66.2%
Mount Royal Community Boundaries Are:
- Northern Border – 17th Ave SW
- Eastern Border – Earl Gray Cr, College Lane, Royal Ave, Hope St
- Southern Border – 10th St, Premier Way, 8th St, Council Way
- Western Border – 14th St SW
Questions about Calgary Luxury Homes?
I am 100% committed to helping my clients accomplish their luxury real estate goals while providing the best possible service a Calgary REALTOR can offer.