20 Reasons and Counting, why I Love Calgary!
Because of our location we get nice warm Chinook winds during the winters and we always have a lot of sun, in fact we get more days of sunshine per year then any other Canadian city.
Calgary is amazing for so many reasons, over 20 of which are detailed below but this is by no means an exhaustive list. I encourage you to leave a comment with some of the reasons you love Calgary!
Not Only do I love my city, I love this province and my country too! We are lucky to be Calgarians, Albertans and Canadians!
Twenty Reasons and Counting to Love Calgary, Alberta Canada:
1. Calgary is Canada’s number one economic performer and is home to a diverse array of industries, including the energy, finance, manufacturing, transportation, technology, film and creative industry sectors.
2. Calgary has no provincial sales tax and a very competitive income tax structure
3. Calgary was ranked as the best place in Canada to work by the Globe and Mail. Today’s Parent magazine ranked the city among the top five best cities for families and the Economist ranked Calgary tied for 5th as the best Cities to live in the world in its most recent liveability survey. The Toronto Board of Trade also named Calgary the 3rd most prosperous city of 24 cities in its most recent prosperity index.
4. Not to mention the Rocky Mountains and famous Banff national park are just a stone throw away (ok, maybe not a stone throw, but depending on where you are in the city the longest it could take is about 90 minutes.)
5. Calgary is one of only 3 places in the world that claim to be rat-free along with the Arctic and Antarctic
6. I can walk into any doctor or hospital 24 hours a day 365 days a year and receive immediate no fee treatment.
7. 500-or-so parks and reserves provide rewarding wildlife viewing opportunities and invigorating hiking and biking trails.
8. Youngest population in Canada with 41% between the ages of 20-44 and the average age of only 36!
10. Highest personal income per capita and more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in Canada!
11. 2nd highest concentration of head office’s in Canada and highest concentration of head offices per capita!
12. Largest plus 15 network in North America
13. Alberta touts more golf courses than any other province.
14. It also boasts more than 600 lakes for water-sport lovers
15. Largest pathway system in North America with 600+ km of pathways
16. Canada has the worlds third largest oil reserves and 97% of that is in Alberta. Additionally Canada is the worlds only major oil reserve holder whose resource revenues fund a flourishing democracy, freedom and the liberty we enjoy.
18. Canada has the highest Quality of Life in the world,after Denmark, although we have way more land and way more resources!
19. Canada has the world’s highest tertiary education enrolment
20. Canada contains 9% of the world’s renewable water supply
21. The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, the Calgary Stampede!
22. Calgary boasts one of the highest volunteer participation rates in Canada
23. Calgary is one of the safest and healthiest big cities in the world
24. Our city is surrounded by an incredible agricultural ecosystem that produces some of the best products (beef, wheat, barley, etc.) and cultures from around the world, giving us an incredibly diverse dining experience.
25. YYC, Calgary’s airport is currently building the longest runway in Canada and the tallest control tower in the country. As one of Canada’s busiest airports this will only add to the east of travel, cargo and business to and from anywhere in the world!
What do you Love about Calgary?